Question #6 Whom Are You Looking For?
Read John 18:1-8
First reaction to the reading: I feel like I have arrived at Good Friday too
soon. I don’t feel ready to ponder the
betrayal and death of Jesus.
The people in the John 18 story have been following
Jesus for three years hoping to find what they are looking for. They’re probably not ready to ponder his
death either.
After three years, Jesus finally says, “The answer to
your ‘What?’ question is a ‘Who?’. You
have been searching for something and I will answer you with someone.
What are we looking for? We search among a pile of things. Our striving for things like security,
purpose, acceptance, meaning, success, victory, vindication, absolution,
contentment and happiness have us filling our lives with busyness. There is just a whole lot of rushing around
going on. Let me acknowledge that much
of our striving will result in good things for ourselves and our families. But somehow, the question is still being
asked, “What am I looking for?”
Both the soldiers in John 18 and Mary in John 20 are
looking for Jesus. They are looking for
a ‘someone’, not a ‘something’, but they are not quite sure that they have
found him. Even when they see him face
to face, they are not sure that he really is the one they are looking for. Finally, when they are paying full attention
to him, Jesus shows himself to us.
Hold my attention, Lord, just long enough to hear you
say my name.
No comments:
Post a Comment