Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 13—Wednesday
But Who Do You Say That I Am?
Mark 8:27-30
Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” And they answered him, “John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.” He asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” (Mark 8:27-29a)

Caesarea Philippi is a pilgrimage destination filled with statues of Greek and Roman deities.   There are natural springs and waterfalls that feed the Jordan River.  It is peaceful and attractive for religious worship.  The city was given by Caesar Augustus to King Herod the Great, who built a magnificent temple to honor Caesar.  Herod’s son Philip expanded it and dedicated it to his imperial benefactor Tiberius Caesar, and gave it the name Caesarea Philippi.

Jesus’ question, “But who do you say that I am?” is set in a context of many competing god’s, chief among them being Caesar. Consider the context in which our lives are set.  It is filled with competing god’s.  

Martin Luther describe our true god this way, “whatever your heart clings to and relies upon, that is your God; trust and faith of the heart alone make both God and idol.” 

I, too, am surrounded by competing god’s that I am place my trust in and look to for things like security and various ego needs.  When Jesus asks me, “Who do you say that I am?” he is inviting me to place my ultimate trust (and ultimate allegiance) in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment