Question #2 "Who touched me?" See Luke 8:40-48
The woman’s illness made her ritually unclean. Powerful social and religious sanction prohibited her from any physical contact with any human being or any object that another human might also touch. That is devastating isolation.
How would this woman answer the question of the week, “What are you looking for?”
Certainly, her immediate answer would be, “I am looking for healing.”
There is a deeper answer to the question. I think the woman’s deeper answer would be something like this:
“I am looking for my life. It has been taken away from me by this disease. Want do I want? What hope bubbled up within me when I heard that Jesus was near? What do I hunger for? What do I want?”
“I want my life back.”
“I hunger for life. I have been surviving, yes. But I have not known life for 12 years.”
“I want to wash my husband’s feet when he comes home. I want to touch my son’s face. I want to hold my daughter when she is sick. I want to cook food for my family. I want to buy wheat in the market. I want to live. I want to touch Jesus and get my life back.”
She never gave up.
Sometimes I want to touch Jesus and will even take a risk to stay close to Jesus. Sometimes I'd rather keep my distance. In some situations I stop trying - I give up. In other situations I keep trying. What is the difference? Could it be that I leave God out of some areas of life and invite God into other areas? I think that could be it.
No comments:
Post a Comment